Texas Insight provides timely reporting of healthcare issues and events as they occur within the legislative and regulatory branches of Texas state government.
HHSC: The Mental Health Condition and Substance Use Disorder Parity Workgroup. The Workgroup gathered to hear state agency updates on Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program, the Office of the Ombudsman, and the Texas Department of Insurance; hear Mental Health Condition and Substance Use Disorder Parity Workgroup Statewide Strategic Plan updates; take public comment; and more. Read the report.
HHSC: State Medicaid Managed Care Advisory Committee. The Committee gathered to hear updates from Advisory Committee chairs, the State Medicaid Managed Care Advisory Committee (SMMCAC) subcommittee, and HHSC; discuss Prior authorization and provider burden (tabled at June meeting); discuss the SMMCAC annual report to the Executive Commissioner and Legislature; take public comment; and more. Read the report.
HHSC: Palliative Care Interdisciplinary Advisory Council. The Committee gathered to review and approve the 2020 workgroup recommendations regarding enhancing family caregiver support; review and discuss the 2020 annual report; hear an update on the continuing education event; take public comment; and more. Read the report.
HHSC: Health and Human Services System Coordinated Strategic Plan 2021–2025 – Public Hearing. The Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) and the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) conducted a public hearing to receive stakeholder input on the Health and Human Services (HHS) Draft Strategic Planning Elements for 2021–2025. The HHS Coordinated Strategic Plan covers both health and human services agencies. Read the report.
HHSC: Early Childhood Intervention Advisory Committee. The Committee gathered to hear updates on the ECI Program; discuss the Family Outcomes Survey; review and adopt advisory committee bylaws; hear member reports; and take public comment. Read the report.
The Texas Biennial Budget Process. In preparation for the coming legislative session, Texas Insight has produced an informational video detailing the Texas biennial budget process. We discuss the timeline for development and implementation of the budget, the vision that guides State expenditures, State agencies’ role in the creation of the budget, the bill’s certification by the Comptroller in accordance with Texas’ available revenue, and finally, passage by the Governor. Watch the video.
September 10, 2020
- This meeting will be webcast: Policy Council for Children and Families (PCCF) Agenda
- This meeting will be webcast: Texas Council on Consumer Direction (TCCD) Agenda
- An Austin doctor got a COVID-19 test from his own company. They billed his insurance company nearly $11,000
- JR: In backing Rep. Sarah Davis, Planned Parenthood aggravates some allies
- A week after hurricane evacuation, nursing home residents with COVID-19 still waiting to return to East Texas
- Abbott extends state disaster declaration as COVID-19 lingers
- After a teen’s death, Texas cuts ties with a rural foster care facility, then gets a tongue-lashing from a federal judge
- Texans with greatest medical needs losing access to care despite 2019 reforms, advocates say
- Planned Parenthood Texas Votes PAC Announces New State Lege Endorsements
- To ride out pandemic, Austin hotels pivot to office space
- OCA: Jury Trials During The COVID-19 Pandemic
- This Fort Worth hospital broke a record in August. It had nothing to do with COVID.
- Post-COVID syndrome damages some kids hearts
- Student athletes get COVID-19 tests three times a week, while experts say testing for other university students is lagging
- Texas health officials preparing for COVID-19 vaccine distribution by end of October
- A New Theory Asks: Could a Mask Be a Crude ‘Vaccine’?
- Gap narrows between those who see pandemic as more of a health crisis and those focused on economy: poll
- Researchers Warn Nearly Half Of U.S. Child Care Centers Could Be Lost To Pandemic
- Senate to vote on scaled-down coronavirus relief package
- It’s Not Easy to Get a Coronavirus Test for a Child
- Drug companies issue rare joint pledge on vaccine safety amid political fears
- The International Scientists Getting Pushed Out
- Coronavirus may linger on chilled salmon for a week: research
- FDA moves on vaccines spark political worries
- Daily Coronavirus Testing at Home? Many Experts Are Skeptical
- GOP uses debunked theory to downplay COVID-19 death toll
- New Global Coronavirus Death Forecast Is Chilling — And Controversial
- Covid-19 Live Updates: Kamala Harris Expresses Distrust of Trump on Vaccine Safety
- Why Are Moderna Executives Selling Stock While Developing A Coronavirus Vaccine?
- Race for Coronavirus Vaccine Pits Spy Against Spy
- Coronavirus FAQ: Is It A Good Idea To Buy An Air Cleaner For My Home?
- Coronavirus Briefing: A Summer of Lost Opportunity
- Trump maintains US ’rounding the turn’ on coronavirus
- Key model predicts 400,000 coronavirus deaths in US by January
- States Prepare For Potential Fall Vaccine Distribution, Under Pressure From CDC
- Bar and Medical Exam Delays Keep Graduates in Limbo
- Leader of Trump’s ‘Operation Warp Speed’ says he would quit if there was political interference
- Democrats urge CDC to update guidance to encourage colleges, universities go tobacco-free
- 70 percent of new coronavirus cases are coming from red states
- 21 percent of voters say they would get a no-cost vaccine as soon as possible: poll