Texas Insight provides timely reporting of healthcare issues and events as they occur within the legislative and regulatory branches of Texas state government.
Texas Insight Recent Reports
House Committee on Appropriations Article II Subcommittee: COVID-19 and Mental/ Behavioral Health: The Committee on Appropriations, Subcommittee on Article II, heard testimony on several topics. This report addresses the following:
COVID-19 AND MENTAL/BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
- Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute, Andy Keller, PhD, President and CEO
- Health and Human Services Commission, Sonja Gaines, Deputy Executive Commissioner for IDD & Behavioral Health Services
- Texas Council of Community Centers, Lee Johnson, Deputy Director
- Cook Children’s Hospital, Kia Carter, MD, Co-Medical Director, Inpatient and Consultation Liaison Psychiatric Services
March 16, 2021
- House Human Services
- This meeting will be webcast: Proposed Medicaid Payment Rates for the Medical Policy Review of Autism Services
- This meeting will be webcast: Mental Health Condition and Substance Use Disorder Parity Workgroup (MHCSUD) Agenda
March 17, 2021
March 18, 2021
State and Federal Healthcare News
- Slate of Texas legislation limiting abortion, including so-called “heartbeat bill,” heads to Senate
- All Texans over 50 will be eligible for COVID vaccines starting March 15, DSHS announces
- Biden will deploy FEMA to care for teenagers and children crossing border in record numbers
- A year into COVID-19, experts share what ‘normal’ could look like amid vaccines and variants?
- At least 57 people died in the Texas winter storm, mostly from hypothermia
- New invention by San Antonio scientist could be a ‘game changer’ in lifesaving heart transplants
- One year of COVID-19: The percentage of vaccinated Texans is increasing as cases, deaths decline from record January highs
- New COVID-19 vaccination site to open in Stop Six as officials seek equitable approach
- One year ago, the first Texan was killed by COVID-19. 45,000 deaths followed — and it’s not over.
- The Costly, Painful, Lonely Burden of Care
- FTC eyes new approach to pharmaceutical mergers
- Three Feet or Six? Distancing Guideline for Schools Stirs Debate
- Sharp, ‘Off The Charts’ Rise In Alcoholic Liver Disease Among Young Women
- Murder Rate Remains Elevated as New Crime Reporting System Begins
- Moderna Gives First Vaccine Shots To Young Kids As Part Of COVID-19 Study
- Purdue Pharma Offers Plan to End Sackler Control and Mounting Lawsuits
- Democratic senators call on CDC to boost accessibility of vaccine scheduling for seniors
- Should You Be Concerned About Blood Clots, Bleeding and the AZ-Vaccine?
- Trump Encourages His Supporters To Get COVID-19 Vaccine, Within Limits of ‘Freedoms’
- Children Are Sleeping on Mats in Overcrowded Border Facilities
- Fauci: We risk another COVID-19 surge if we declare victory now
- As Biden Confronts Vaccine Hesitancy, Republicans Are a Particular Challenge
- How Is The COVID-19 Vaccination Campaign Going In Your State?
Access this document for state and federal COVID-19 updates from this week.